Guide to Sanitizing Laptops, Tablets, Phones, and other Devices
- Soft cloths (e.g., eye glasses clothes)
- Isopropyl alcohol or bleach-free disinfectant wipes
- Do not use excess force when cleaning the keyboard, mouse or monitor
- Never use bleach or abrasive cleaning products to disinfect the computers and phones
Sanitizing a Computer
- Wash your hands
- Turn off the computer, then unplug the power cord.
- Disconnect the monitor, keyboard and mouse and remove any batteries installed in the devices. If you are sanitizing a laptop, make sure the laptop is turned off. Remove the battery and make sure it is unplugged as well. Open the laptop after disconnecting the battery.
- Remove dirt, dust, and crumbs from the keyboard by using a can of compressed air. Hold the can approximately 6 inches from the keyboard and spray along the perimeter of each key.
- Sanitize the keyboard by using a disinfectant wipe or soft, linen-free cloth dipped in isopropyl alcohol. Rub the cloth or wipe on the top and sides of each key and then wipe the surface and bottom of the keyboard. Use a new disinfectant wipe or cloth to clean the mouse. Do not use these materials to clean the monitor/screen.
- Dampen a microfiber cloth with plain water. Gently wipe the computer monitor to remove dirt and fingerprints. Avoid placing pressure on the screen. Sanitize the monitor by using a disinfectant wipe specifically designed for LCD and laptop screens. (e.g., www.amazon.com/Monitor-Wipes-Pre-Moistened-Streak-Free-Ammonia-Free/dp/B0774S56RN/ref=psdc_14084681_t3_B005UMF4AE?th=1)
Sanitizing a Phone or Tablet
- Wash your hands.
- Unplug the phone from the power source.
- Remove dirt from the keypad, if applicable, ports, and speaker by using a can of compressed air. Hold the can approximately 6 inches from the surface when spraying.
- Wipe the surface of the phone by using a bleach-free disinfectant wipe or a soft cloth dabbed in isopropyl alcohol. Use a separate cloth or disinfectant wipe to clean the entire surface of the headset, including the speaker and microphone. (e.g., www.amazon.com/Monitor-Wipes-Pre-Moistened-Streak-Free-Ammonia-Free/dp/B0774S56RN/ref=psdc_14084681_t3_B005UMF4AE?th=1)
Summary: secure your organization’s network by securing your personal device
- Know what your organization requires of you when you use your personal device for work
- Prepare your device so you are the only user with access to your organization’s network
- Secure and maintain your device on a monthly basis
- Maintain good IT security habits